BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39983
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "Game 42: Detroit Tigers 7 Cincinnati Reds 6" Thread

Message #186 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Game 42: Detroit Tigers 7 Cincinnati Reds 6
Date:  5/23/06, 5:21am
graphic
What a comeback! The Tigers just keep finding ways to win close ballgames. Down to their last out in the ninth trailing by one run, but Detroit was not out. Curtis Granderson brought the standing room only crown of 43,128 to their feet with an opposite field blast sending the game to extra innings. The winning run came in the bottom of the tenth inning coming on a throwing error with two outs allowing Carlos Guillen to score from third. This game had drama throughout.

Detroit’s offense jumped on starter Eric Milton early scoring two runs in the first. Marcus Thames, batting in the number two spot in the order, doubled and scored a RBI single by Magglio Ordonez. Following a walk to Guillen, Ordonez came around to score on a single by Shelton. The Reds cut the lead in half with a homer by Brandon Phillips in the third. Cleveland has to be regretting letting this guy go. The Tigers quickly loaded the bases in the bottom half of the inning and added two more runs. Shelton added another RBI single as did Craig Monroe. Mike Maroth was staked to a 5-1 lead in the fourth following Magglio’s eleventh home run of the season.

The seventh inning is where things got interesting. Adam Dunn led off with a home run to cut into the four run lead. Maroth excited with one out in the seventh and a runner on. Once again Maroth put forth a quality start and in the end was charged with three runs on six hits. He only walked one and struck out five. Zumaya relieved Maroth and experienced his first blown save. He surrendered a single to Javier Valentine before striking out Ryan Freel for the second out of the inning. The next batter, Felipe Lopez, proved to be the key. Zumaya walked him to load the bases for Ken Griffey Jr. You kind of felt what was coming next. Griffey added Comerica to the list of Parks he has homered in. He turned on a 100 mph fastball from Zumaya depositing it deep to right. This gave Cincinnati the lead and set the stage for Granderson’s heroics.

The Tigers bullpen did an excellent job in the 8th, 9th and 10th innings. Jason Grilli pitched a perfect eighth. Jamie Walker allowed a base hit and nothing more in the ninth and Rodney worked a 1-2-3 tenth for his second victory on the year. The Tigers look for a series victory with the rubber game on Sunday. The sellout crowd for this game was the fourth largest crowd in the history of Comerica Park. Detroit is starting to believe the Tigers are for real.

*** OEs 3 Stars of the Game ***

#3 Chris Shelton – 3-4 with a BB and 2 RBI
#2 Magglio Ordonez – 3-4 with 2 runs scored, 1 BB, a HR and 2 RBI
#1 Curtis Granderson – 1-2 with a run scored, a HR and 1 RBI

On Tap – Game 43 (28-14) v. Cincinnati Reds (25-18) May 21st, 1:05 ET
Nate Robertson (4-2, 3.50) v. Aaron Herang (5-2, 4.19)

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #186
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

5437 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #191 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
rmayer78  
Date:  5/24/06, 8:38am
Wish I were there! Had tickets! Was in LA. Are the Tigers the best team ever? Is Thames the best player ever? Yes and yes.

Reply to Msg #191
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

2970 reads

Message #193 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
therealPaws  
Date:  5/24/06, 8:49am
I had your tickets, but I have no friends I so wish I had just gone by myself, I can't believe it turned out to be the best game ever. I feel like Jimmy Fallon in fever pitch, it's gonna be awhile before I forgive myself. I truely thought the game was over when Griffey hit that bomb (I had that feeling too that he was gonna bomb it), but nooooo, do the Tigers have any give up in them, hell no. That's why they have the best record. Idiots that were saying a week ago 'I still think they're a .500 team' need to never speak of baseball again cause they obviously know nothing. Go Tigers!

Reply to Msg #193
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

6666 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter